The Clean Coalition is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy and a modern grid through technical, policy, and project development expertise.
The Clean Coalition drives policy innovation to remove barriers to procurement and interconnection of distributed energy resources (DER) — such as local renewables, advanced inverters, demand response, and energy storage — and we establish market mechanisms that realize the full potential of integrating these solutions. The Clean Coalition also collaborates with utilities and municipalities to create near-term deployment opportunities that prove the technical and financial viability of local renewables and other DER.
Ultimately, the Clean Coalition envisions the United States being 100% powered by renewable energy, substantially from local sources. To make this goal a reality, the Clean Coalition is working to achieve the following objectives by 2020:
- From 2020 onward, at least 80% of all electricity from new generating facilities in the United States will be from renewable energy sources.
- From 2020 onward, at least 25% of all electricity from new generating facilities in the United States will be from local renewable energy sources.
- Locally generated electricity does not travel over the transmission grid to get from the location it is generated to where it is consumed.
- By 2020, policies and programs are well established for ensuring successful fulfillment of the other two objectives.
- Policies reflect the full value of local renewable energy.
- Programs prove the superiority of local energy systems in terms of economics,environment, and resilience; and in terms of timeliness.
We are building this future through:
- Utility Renewables Programs — Working with electric utilities and industry stakeholders to design and implement programs that bring local renewable energy online.
- State Renewables Policy — Advancing state level policy that accelerates adoption of local renewable energy.
- Grid Modernization Policy — Working to modernize America’s power system by improving grid planning, access, and solutions.
- Community Microgrids — Working with electric utilities to design and implement community microgrids that prove local renewables provide a reliable and cost-effective foundation for a modern grid.
- Net Zero Energy — Developing and promoting local fuel switching efforts for net zero energy in built environments and in the transportation sector.
We believe in expanding the use of renewable energy by creating fair, transparent, and effective policies and programs. Across America, clean local energy can provide more reliable, more affordable power for consumers. Smart policy will also spur economic development and help communities turn underused spaces — from rooftops to parking lots — into energy-generating spaces.
CLICK HERE to find out more about the Clean Coalition