We are currently seeking interns for Winter 2017! Check out our available positions below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Are you looking for real-word sustainability experience to compliment your education in a cutting-edge, dynamic organization that promotes, supports, and teaches sustainability? Are you ready to put theory into practice in the real world? Are you passionate about making a difference? If so, join us as an intern at Natural Capitalism Solutions (NCS), a non-profit that works with companies, communities, countries, and governments to implement more regenerative practices.
Hunter Lovins and the Natural Capitalism Solutions team create tools to enable businesses and industry to implement sustainable practices. As an intern at NCS you will learn how to research and analyze existing management tools, techniques, and actual practices of organizations pursuing sustainability. Interns will work on projects to help NCS transform the global economy, by crafting a new narrative to create a Finer Future for us all. Interns learn by doing, developing new tools and strategies, generating new ideas and ways of doing things, and becoming change agents.
At Natural Capitalism Solutions, interns have the opportunity to:
- Receive training and pragmatic experience in the field of sustainability consulting
- Work with the NCS team and sustainability pioneer, Hunter Lovins, on transforming the global economy, leading for wellbeing, and working to craft a new narrative.
- Take active part in innovative discussions and planning sessions involving critical thinking about sustainability issues and practice.
- Research, compose, and prepare background materials for various levels of project work.
- Research and analyze pressing issues
- Help create tools to assist businesses and industry to develop sustainable practices and become sustainable organizations
- Receive recognition for work on published reports
- Participate in local conferences, industry & networking events, staff meetings, and company outings
- Hear world-class speakers from various fields pertaining to sustainability
- See the direct results of your work impact the very structure of capitalism in this country and the world
- Be “at the table” for innovative discussions and planning sessions”
- Develop an individualized learning program to develop personal skills and talents
- A desire to learn and a strong work ethic is required
- Strong research skills (including internet, journal, and publications) and the ability to comprehend and communicate findings
- A basic understanding of business sustainability
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Constant Contact (preferred)
- A high standard of writing and communication skills
- Ability to be flexible and multitask and to work independently
The internship is unpaid and requires 20 hours per week (flexible). Interns are required to work out of the Longmont office for the majority of the internship. Day to day responsibilities will vary. Carpooling and vanpooling is encouraged. Some offsite work is expected.
Throughout the program interns will assist with a variety of tasks but will typically follow one major project. Our current internships are listed below, find the one that fits your interests:
Sustainability Implementation Intern
Sustainability Implementation Interns assist NCS staff on various levels of program, consulting, education, and business development work. Specific projects depend on client needs and current funding and can incorporate any of our services or program focus areas. Interns receive training in our approach. They are expected to take responsibility and ask questions. Interns will gain experience in project work, and can assist on all levels from proposal writing to initial research to composition toward a final report. Sustainability Implementation Interns will typically focus on one project throughout their internship but should be flexible as the need to assist on other projects/tasks will arise.
Economic Transformation Internship
Hunter Lovins and the Natural Capitalism Solutions team are working to create a new economic paradigm that will transform capitalism. Natural Capitalism Solutions’ Economy interns will research and analyze existing and potential macro and micro economic topics including globalization, climate change, sustainable business, regenerative agriculture, local, state and national policy, demographics, alternative economic models and support work including public presentations, change management, strategic partnerships, foundation and major donor fundraising, sustainability implementation, program evaluation and event planning.
Projects for Economy Internships will vary. Past/current projects include:
- Background research for books, publications and presentations
- Development of communication strategies.
- Formation of strategic partnerships.
- Design and implementation of high leverage events and meetings.
Policy & Research Intern (Not accepting applications at this time)
The Policy & Research Intern will participate in researching and framing policy recommendations. You will be part of a fast-paced environment with the option of working from home. You will work with Bill Becker, the Executive Director of the PCAP project, an initiative of Natural Capitalism Solutions to help the President of the United States take decisive action on global warming and energy security.
Additional Focus Areas of our Internships:
Sustainability Content Development & Communications
Our interns are responsible for creating short blog pieces, articles and other social feeds that will be posted throughout our website and other online outlets. Interns will be asked to help manage Natural Capitalism Solutions’ social media pages: Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn as well as contributing to newsletter content. Excellent writing and communication skills and the ability to multi-task and work independently is a must. You will work closely with all members of the NCS team, manage content, and strengthen our online presence on our website, blog and social media, in order to effectively enhance our brand and voice, while increasing our education and outreach efforts.
Grant Research/Proposal Writing
Foundations that support our work in sustainability, climate change and our vision for a new economy are our lifeblood. We are looking for an organized, resourceful, and detail oriented interns eager to learn about the development and management of foundation and corporate grants. Interns will work directly with our Head of Partnerships and Consulting to research and write proposals to fund the programs and projects of Natural Capitalism Solutions. You will assist with researching and identifying new foundations, drafting Letters of Intent (LOI), applications, proposals, and reports. This is an exciting opportunity with NCS to expand your skills and experience within the non-profit world and contribute immensely to the future work of NCS.
To apply submit the following application materials to Meghan Altman at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[internship type, season, year] Internship Application.”:
- Introductory cover letter/email.
- Detailed resume or curriculum vitae.
- A writing sample is required. Preference is given to applicants who select an internship topic area from above and write a 1000-word essay highlighting what you think are the major issues in this area are and how you would work towards addressing these issues. If you choose to not write an essay specific to our internships, applicants are encouraged to submit a sample that demonstrates not only their writing ability, but also thorough research and accurate citations.
NCS has internships available year-round. Applications are accepted and evaluated promptly. All qualified candidates are invited to perform a basic research assignment on a current NCS project. Successful candidates are then invited to interview with NCS to assess their suitability and discuss areas of involvement.
Upon acceptance, an individualized work, network building and learning program is developed. Apply today!
Past interns have gained employment at the following organizations: Standard Renewable Energy, GreenOrder, Weecycle Environmental Consulting, ATC Associates Environmental Consulting, Clean Energy Action, Department of Health, and NCS, to name a few.
Read about our past interns here.