With your support, the Natural Capitalism team and I have educated, inspired and empowered the next generation of sustainability leaders. We are building more regenerative companies, climate resilient communities, and an economy in service to life. Thanks to you, some of our work has resulted in the following positive impacts in 2015:
Education, Outreach & Future Leaders Training:
- NCS has provided internship opportunities for more than 540 students and young professionals over the years (before we lost track), including 19 in 2015. We are proud that past interns now have such titles as Executive Director, Chief Sustainability Officer, Director of Possibilities, and CEO of amazing eco-start-ups, non-profits and major corporations, pushing the sustainability envelope and making a finer future for us all.
- We delivered sustainability education to more than 1,000 MBA students, including several hundred in 2015 alone, resulting in an additional team of sustainability leaders spreading the word in deed and action in organizations such as Eos Climate, SustainAbility, TriplePundit, The Cheesecake Factory, Etsy and Pratt and Whitney, to name a few.
- Our staff provided public education and outreach to tens of thousands of people, speaking at more than 100 events across the globe.
- Our writing has been featured in such venues as The Guardian, Huffington Post, Human Systems Management, Unreasonable.IS, and many others. These educate and inspire business leaders and the public to action with an estimated reach in excess of 100 million.
- And I remain a founding mentor of the Unreasonable Institute, helping social enterprises from around the world launch and prosper.
Higher Education Going Green:
- NCS is advising Universities and higher educational institutions, transforming their
sustainability aspirations into action and reality. For example, we are currently working with Colorado Mountain College (CMC), a unique
institution that provides higher ed to over 20,000 students in 11 campuses over nine counties in Colorado, encompassing 12,000 square miles! As have hundreds of other universities across the U.S., CMC signed the President’s Climate Commitment to address climate change. CMC is taking that commitment seriously, working with NCS to develop a deep green and aggressive sustainability action plan to achieve its goals. In doing so, we have audited their campuses, reviewed all of the ways that CMC uses energy, sources its food, maintains its facilities developed, surveyed its students and faculty, and integrated an internship program for CMC students to gain real world experience being a part of the project.
- We’re educating universities nationally, including our upcoming Webinar: Creating Value from your School’s Sustainability & Climate Commitment. You can view more and register here.
- I served as an invited expert helping students, faculty and administration at Swarthmore College conduct its first sustainability design charrette, and set the college’s sustainability goals.
Driving Sustainable Business Globally:
- NCS enables small to some of the world’s largest companies to implement sustainability profitably. We’re advising the world’s largest global sustainability leader, Unilever, to drive significant commitments, including incorporating regenerative agricultural practices into their supply chain to restore ecological balance while pulling carbon out of the atmosphere.
- We work with major global restaurant companies to drive key sustainability solutions to pressing issues, such as creating animal welfare and sustainable sourcing policies and practices, while pursuing climate neutrality. This year we showed that investment in sustainability through intensified resource efficiencies and productivity was more profitable than opening another restaurant, for example.
- We advise dozens of companies from Eos Climate, Futerra, De Tao, IdeaCarbon, Batan, and CO2 to Energy Efficiency; NGOs from the B-Team, the Club of Rome and Carbon Disclosure Project, to such governmental efforts as the City of Denver’s Office of Sustainability.
- I presented on our book, Creating a Lean and Green Business System, at the Vale Nickel Refinery in Swansea, Wales, outlining the business case for enhances sustainability.
Building Resilient, Sustainable Communities Locally to Globally:
- We work with local, state, national and international governments to assess, develop, and implement climate resiliency and sustainability plans. Close to our hearts and homes, for example, we conducted a first of its kind sustainability cost-benefit analysis for Boulder County, CO, in which we were able to show that for every $1 invested in sustainability, over $5 in value is returned back to the community. NCS also analyzed and identified where the greatest return on investment in carbon emission reduction activity would occur, helping the county prioritize based on financial, social and economic indicators.
- We enabled the City of Lyons, CO to incorporate sustainability into its flood recovery plan, staffed the city sustainability efforts, and created a model plan to integrate future resilience and cost savings into recovery
- Further afield, we advised the New York State Department of Agriculture on how to integrate regenerative agricultural practices and its role in fighting climate change..
- I represented IdeaCARBON at the UN’s Global Compact carbon markets session, and its 15 year anniversary celebration in the General Assembly.
- NCS advises numerous investors, including Principium, building one of the first truly fossil fuel free investment portfolios, gender lens investing and transition portfolios, enabling traditional investors to get a start in impact. We have keynoted the SRI (socially responsible investing) in the Rockies conference twice, and are leading in the creation of I2X, an innovative approach to doubling the benefit to communities of impact investing.
- I keynoted the Future New Economy conference in Shanghai, China, and helped the De Tao Academy release the first natural capital accounting protocol for China, spoke at the Impact Investing Summit, the divestment track of Colorado Bioneers, South By Southwest Eco, and at the UBS Bank’s Young Successors Program, advising young investors on what the impact field means and how to do it with integrity.
Hosting Start-up Non-profits & Projects:
- NCS proudly sponsors new initiatives that are aligned with our mission, including
The Clean Coalition, which works with communities, electric utilities, and policymakers throughout the U.S. to design, promote, and implement innovative policies and programs that are transforming the electric power system to be cleaner, more efficient, and more affordable.
- Natural Capitalism Solutions hosts the Pet Industry Sustainability Coalition (PISC), whose mission is to accelerate environmental and social sustainability in the pet industry through education, implementation tools, and collaboration.
- NCS speaks at conferences, roundtables, advisory councils and other events globally. We have hosted our own challenge events, most recently a series of business, interfaith, and civil society dialogues to take Pope Francis’ Encyclical Laudato Si, On Care For Our Common Home, to action. We brought together the three sectors essential to implementing change: several hundred people from interfaith, business and government with the general public to accept the Pope’s clarion call, set forth actionable plans, and craft a strategy to implement the changes necessary to create a finer future. In case you missed out, read all about this wonderful event on our website, here.
- I headlined the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s global online Disruptive Innovation Festival, speaking about the Economy in Service to Life.
- Our team served the City of Denver as the lead facilitator for the 200 member Energy Track at the 2015 Sustainable Denver Summit, leading to over 85 commitments by businesses, organizations, and individuals to meet the city’s 2020 Sustainability Goals.
- I keynoted the International Economic Forum in Baden Baden, Germany, spoke at the Future of the Electric Utility conference in Maui, The World of Opportunity roundtable in Oslo, Norway, Academy of Management in Vancouver, Humanistic Tourism in Cagliari, Sardinia, the Club of Rome in Switzerland, the King’s conference on the future in Marrakech, Morocco, Redesigning Commerce in New York, The Future New Economy in Shanghai, China, and more than 50 conferences across the United States.
NCS and I received a series of gratifying awards this year, including:
- Rock the Planet’s Planet Defender Award Community Leader,
- The Network for Humanistic Management Lifetime Achievement Award,
- Award from the Minister of Environment of Ecuador for Lifetime Achievement on Behalf of the Environment.
We hope you agree that we have accomplished a hell of a lot with very little. It is possible only because of you, our partners and supporters. Thank you!
Imagine how much more impact we can both have with your additional support.
Please, in this season of giving, help Natural Capitalism Solutions to create a finer future for us all.